If the paint of your car is fading or you simply wish to change the color of your car, you can color your car on your own and save a huge amount of money. Preparing beforehand and operating a little systematically will help you to make your car look new in not much time.
Painting a car requires a lot of time and is a complex job and hence you should set aside a few days or weekends and completely focus on painting your car. To paint your car, you will need a variety of different tools and equipments such as sandpaper, masking tape, air compressor, spray gun, air-powered or electric sandpaper and newspapers for masking off, paint thinners, safety glasses, face masks, a buffer, enamel or acrylic paint, undercoat, and a clear-coat lacquer. You will also require a dust extractor which will help in keeping the area clean but is not very important. If you wish to color your car in the same color, you can find the color code of your car on the compliance plate of your car. The auto paint shops are able to match the color code of your car.
What Are The Types Of Automotive Paints?
Automotive paints can either be used for decorating your car or protecting your car. Nowadays, a variety of automotive paints are available which are environment-friendly. These paints are specially designed so they can be sprayed and will remain on the car. The automotive paints are made of three essential components- a pigment which color to the paint, thinner for maintaining the consistency and a binder which is used to bind the thinner and the pigment together. Before choosing which automotive paint is the most appropriate for your car, you must be well informed about the different types of automotive paints and how paint is different and better from the other. Whether you should pick a waterborne or a solvent paint or a single stage or two stage paint can depend on a variety of different factors.
What Are The Simple Steps To Paint Your Car?
- Auto painting requires preparation beforehand. The area in which you are going to paint your car must be properly cleaned to remove all dust from the area. Make sure you don’t paint your car under trees or anything which is most likely to drop something on the car during and after the painting the car. If you also wish to paint the trunk, inner doorsills and the engine bay of the car, it is more likely to take more time. You can also cover the areas which you don’t want to paint on the exterior of your car.
- For a smooth finish, you must have to use sandpapers on corners and crevices. This is a time-consuming process since each panel can take up to and often more than two hours to do so. You can use the wet-and-dry sandpaper for smooth finishing on the exterior if you don’t have enough time to go right down to the bare metal. Before painting your car, you must clean it with thinners and wait until the residue and dust evaporate entirely from the thinners.
- You must cover certain parts of the cars with a masking tape or plastic sheets in order to avoid overspray. Follow the instructions on the paint to mix the primer and thinner in right proportions. It varies with different types of paints. Before painting your car, you must practice by holding the spray gun approximately at a distance of six inches from the area which you want to paint. Only hold the trigger while moving the spraying gun because if you hold the trigger continuously, it will cause the paint to run when you change directions.
- Paint your car from the roof down applying the primer in thin and even coats. It generally takes two or three coats to cover the entire area of the car and each coat can take from 10 minutes to 20 minutes. Use the sandpaper for a smooth finish after applying the primer because it has a powdery finish.
- Auto painting cars is a lengthy process. You have to complete several steps before finally painting the car. The paint is also mixed with thinners and is applied with the similar spraying method mentioned above. You must ensure that you remove any residue or dust with the sandpaper before applying the final coat of the paint.
- The masking tape must be removed while the paint is still wet but make sure it does not get stuck to the paint. Finally, use a buffer for painting in buff circular motions.
- Painting your car yourself is surely a time-consuming process but saves a lot of money and gives you great satisfaction after your work is done.
How Beneficial Is A Body Repair Shop?
A body repair shop can charge a huge amount for repairing the body of your car especially when your car gets completely damage in an accident. The auto repairing business is growing at a tremendous rate and is expected to grow at a much faster rate in the future. A body repair shop apart from repairing your car can also help you to claim the expenses from the insurance company. The repair shops often charge less cost from regular customers and often offer discounts to regular customers. They will inform you of the real damage and which parts will need replacement. They also inform you about the number of parts which are damaged. Body repair shops charge a minimal amount for matching the color code of your car and painting your car. You can rely on them if you met with an accident to help you claim the cost of expenses from insurance companies and repair your car. A body repair shop will relieve you of the tension of repairing your car if you have met with an accident. There are various other benefits which have not been mentioned because every repair shop works differently and have different benefits.